[CAUT] Re: Chihuly Steinway

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:48:54 -0500

--=====================_30946558==.REL
--=====================_30946558==.ALT
List,

Since everyone is telling personal opinions, I'll tell mine...I think the
guy's a definite genius. Saw an exhibit of his stuff at the opening of the
new Milwaukee Art Museum on Lake Michigan a few years back - it was an
ecstatic experience. BEAUTIFUL!!! Do remember - beauty is in the eye of the
beholder, y'all. If we don't like his piano design, I'm sure it doesn't
matter to him. He expressed his opinions through his design and execution
of this piano (pun only moderately intended)...

Best,
Mary

At 06:53 PM 4/13/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey Fred,
>    The stuff really is impressive up close.
>http://www.spencertheater.com/04TheTheater/O4Chihuly/chihuly.html
>1d8330a.jpg
>
>This is part of the Persian Wall in the lobby. Those things are huge. Up
>to a meter across.
>They did NOT let him near their D.
>
>Later,
>Guy
>
>At 06:24 PM 4/13/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>>On 4/13/05 2:56 PM, "Alan McCoy" <amccoy@mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > I see that this isn't a whimsical bunch, but I hope you folks get a chance
>> > to see more of his work. The Chihuli museum in Tacoma is pure delight.
>> >
>> > Alan
>>I haven't been to the Tacoma museum, but we had a BIG exhibit of Chihuly
>>glass at the Albuquerque Museum maybe five years back, and it was
>>astoundingly beautiful and memorable. There are permanent
>>collections/displays of some of his works in various places including the
>>Spencer Theater near Ruidoso, NM. No question in my mind, the guy's a
>>genius, definitely in the ranks of my favorite artists. Not sure he should
>>have taken on the piano <g>, though it does have a certain "je ne sais quoi"
>>about it.
>>Regards,
>>Fred Sturm
>>University of New Mexico