[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:17:15 -0400

On Monday, April 11, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> =46rom what I remembered, what got the Twin Cities chapter in trouble=20=

> was that they actually made a motion, and voted, to charge a specific=20=

> price, or a minimum price, for tuning. That, I think is what got them=20=

> in trouble. Although we should abide by the Antitrust Guidelines, some=20=

> of them are pretty far out. I don't think there is anything wrong with=20=

> discussing how much we charger for particular things, as long as we=20
> don't make any kind of statement along the lines of "let's all do=20
> that". I will probably be told that that is not right either, but=20
> that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
> =A0
> Wim

According to the article, "A Tale of Two Cities", by Dennis Kurk, RPT,=20=

PTJ, Nov 1995, p 57, what happened was that one member, UNBEKNOWNST TO=20=

THE CHAPTER, complained verbally to the owner of a local piano=20
dealership which was advertising very low tuning rates.  The dealer=20
promptly filed a complaint to the State Of Minnesota Attorney General's=20=

office, and the Twin Cities Chapter was in trouble.  Even though the=20
Attorney General's office eventually decided against punitive action=20
(for the reason it was not in the interests of either party), the=20
chapter had had to hire a lawyer out of chapter funds, wiping out the=20
chapter financially.  The lawyer advised them the following, according=20=

to the article:

"...even though it might be clear to us that our chapter had never=20
officially practiced a policy of setting uniform fees, enough=20
discussion on the subject of prices had taken place to warrant legal=20
action against us."  Mr. Kurk continues,  "We did not know it at the=20
time, but an individual convicted of a criminal violation of the=20
Sherman Anti-Trust Act could be fined as much as $100,000.00, and=20
imprisoned for up to three years.  That means each chapter member."

According to the article, the Federal Government has brought action=20
against other similar organizations, so the PTG has to be extremely=20
careful, and our members are supposed to agree not to discuss fees,=20
among a number of other things.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina=