[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:15:38 -0700

Hi Jeff,

For me the difference is minimal. Grand parts are more expensive and grands
take longer to regulate, but verticals are more frustrating and difficult to
work on. This aggravation factor is, for me, the thing that drives the price
of vertical work up approaching that of a grand.

BTW, It is not all that difficult to create a spreadsheet template (one for
grands, one for verticals) that can be used for estimates. I used Newton's
guide along with Joe Garrett's guide and my experience to come up with
guidelines for the number of hours for specific jobs. Then as Mary said you
just plug in your hourly rate for the labor. For parts it is parts cost
(including shipping) plus markup percentage. Once you have created the
template estimates are much faster, more consistent and there are built in
reminders for things easily forgotten. Your templates evolve and become
individualized too as you modify them over time with your own experiences.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu