[CAUT] Dickran Atamian

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:34:01 -0400

John Minor's account of Dickran Atamian and the shoe polish brought back
memories.  Here's one all of you might enjoy.

The Oak Ridge (TN) Symphony plays at the Oak Ridge High School because it
has the biggest audituriun in town.  When Dickran was younger and just
getting started, he did a solo concert here.  My seat was near enough the
front that I could see him clearly.  I got the uneasy feeling that
something was wrong.  The tension level was much too high - too much
sweating, dripping, and wiping.

A few days later, one of the fellows who plays in the Symphony told me what
happened:  Prior to the concert, Dickran came in alone and helped hinself
to the piano.  As was typical, communication between the Oak Ridge Civic
Music Association and the Oak Ridge High School was poor.  One of the High
School staff members happened to come in, and not knowing who Atamian was,
or what the occasion was, told him that they did not allow people to wander
in off the street and help themselves to school facilities.  According to
the report, Atamian snapped back with some smart remark, and continued with
what he was doing.  The H.S. staff member called the police, who promptly
came and took him to jail and locked him up.

News traveled fast, and the matter was all cleared up in time for Atamian
to be released and make his concert appearance.

I had almost forgotten about this when I read the posts about the shoe
polish.  By the way, Horace, Rubinstein did not want the keys cleaned
before a concert, but if someone did clean them, that's when he used the
hair spray.

Rachmaninoff gave the final concert of his life in Knoxville TN in 1943.
According to the late Harold Clark, who tuned the piano, Rachmaninoff
chewed him out because he did NOT clean the keys.

Zhe Li has played with the Oak Ridge Symphony three times during the past
five years - the Tchaikovsky I on the first occasion, and the Rachmaninoff
II on the most recent.  Both got standing ovations.  On her first trip
here, she came in while I was tuning the piano, and I asked her if she
wanted me to clean the keys.  "Oh Yes, yes, thank you, very nice, yes,
thank you - nice to meet you!"

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Jim Ellis