[CAUT] Leads, Magnets, Springs, etc.

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:30:35 -0400

Jim-

Thank you for your excellent thoughts.

You have expressed what could be the significant difference between the new
Petrof magnetic assist and an adjustable wippen assist spring.

There is a picture of the new Petrof system on p. 20 of the April Journal.
This is the system I'm referring to here, and no other.

Both the magnetic and spring assist systems will be most effective at the
start of the key stroke, and less effective at the bottom, but the
difference will be greater in the Petrof magnetic assist system.

If this difference is enough to be felt, and whether this is good or not
remains to be seen. One could argue either way.  Springs for Horowitz,
magnets for Rubenstein?

I appreciate your comments on lead.  House paints and art supplies have
changed over the years, in response to many cases of metal poisoning.  Key
leads are near the front where the fingers touch, and will be a fine source
of contamination if there is any oxidation.  This is probably something we
should inspect for in old pianos.  How effective would a lacquer coat be in
sealing this?  Or perhaps an artist's acrylic spirit varnish?

Sincerely,
Ed Sutton