[CAUT] Hello - and looking for piano replacement help

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:51:30 -0600

Rob, list,
=20
My main problem with so called "dealer programs" is that the pianos are
usually not prepped and, being new, have all the instability of new
pianos. So what happened is I would prep the pianos and do the extra
tunes needed, bring them up to optimal condition regulationally, and
then the dealer would trade them out! Sometimes right after I did all
the work! (Lifting/leveling coils & strings, full regulation as needed,
easing keys, etc. etc.) Even at the years end they were just beginning
to be stable and where I wanted them to be. Oh yeah, it's a great deal
for the dealer...they could really sell them AFTER I did the big work.
JMO, but I'm not sold that these programs should be encouraged.
=20
Here at BYU in 1984 we bought 10 new UST7s for around $1800.00 each, and
this year (after 20 years use) sold them for around $1400.00 each. We go
maintain them well and go over them before they're sold so they are
fairly decent. Net result is that we had the pianos for about $20.00 per
year! Works for us!
=20
Jim Busby RPT
Brigham Young University