[CAUT] Tightening Screws as part of regular maintenance

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:54:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2004 6:36:03 PM Central Standard Time,
david@vanderpiano.com writes:

Does  anyone keep track of this for the pianos you service?  For a
school  with many pianos, it would be easy to forget which pianos you
tightened  and which pianos still need tightening.  I am thinking of making
a  list of all the pianos and each time I tune, picking an area and
tightening all the screws in one area, such as tightening all case
screws.  Then next time, I will see on the list that I need to  tighten the
action screws.  And eventually all the undercarriage  screws would be
tightened.  This would make sure that the work gets  done on every piano on
a rotating basis.

Just rambling  thoughts!  Have a nice day

David Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano  Technician

David

I have a data base in File maker pro, on which I not only record every
tuning I do to every piano, but there is also space to write down what  extra work
I do on each piano. Just before school starts in the fall,  I check to see
what I've done to each piano, and make notes on which pianos  need additional
work. Then throughout the year, I will schedule the additional  maintenance,
including tightening all the screws, on an as needed basis.

I realize I am in a different situation than you, in that I am employed  full
time, and I don't have to keep track of my time on each piano, but it does
help me keep track of all the pianos in the department.

Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music
University of  Alabama