[CAUT] Agraffe noise

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:15:41 EDT

<< On other
pianos I've had good luck tugging upwards on the string, or cleaning out
the hole in the agraffe.  But that hasn't helped in this case.  If I
push down firmly on the string on the tuning pin side of the agraffe it
stops.  There is felt there so it isn't a vibrating string.  In my
research I found a Journal article that mentions that maybe the agraffe
itself is loose. >>

Greetings,
   Ok,  take a deep breath, make sure your eyes are protected and try this:
Place a dull screwdriver blade approx 1/8" from the agraffe,(not on the
speaking side,but between the proximal side of the agraffe and the string rest
felt).  Hold the screwdriver so that it is perpendicular to the string
   Then, with a medium hammer, give the screwdriver a sharp rap, straight
downward.  This seems to allow the string to "hammer" itself into a new seating.
I have done this for a number of years and only had one string break,(and I
suspect that string was ready to break, anyway).
  If the agraffe is loose enough to buzz,(which I am not sure how it would),
you can turn them with an agraffe tool while the strings are still on there.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT