[CAUT] Agraffe noise

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:59:55 -0500

You mention "there is felt there..." Bob, but perhaps there isn't enough
counter-bearing (upwards deflection) to terminate the string at the
aggraffe.

If a bass-string core is rattling within the aggraffe, it will rattle in
time with the (visible) oscillation of the string.

If there is little or no upward deflection (of the string) from the aggraffe
to the front string-rest, try increasing (shimming) the counter-bearing
with a thick cardboard punching or #6 bridge pin under the string, at the
string-rest.

I'm guessing the piano was re-strung and the replacement string-rest felt is
too thin?.

Otherwise, if worn aggraffes are the source of noise, they will likely
render poorly, and make a "ticking" sound as you try tune. This is common
enough, and best dealt with when preparing to re-string.

good luck!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS If faculty makes you nervous while you work, go audit one of their
classes sometime!  ;>)