[CAUT] sizing key-frame pin holes?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:58:04 -0600

--On Wednesday, September 1, 2004 8:36 AM -0400 Ed Sutton
<ed440@mindspring.com> wrote:

> As long as we are worried about this, I'd like to ask: How tight does the
> pin really need to be?  Last night I pulled a set of keys for rebushing.
> The pins were not very tight in the key frame; finger-tight with
> discomfort.  They had been turned to tighten loose key bushings, and had
> stayed turned for at least 20 years of light playing.  Set straight with
> new bushings, there will be no twisting force on them.  Has anyone ever
> had a problem with keypins coming loose while playing?  Ed S.

	Yep, several times. Not usually coming out all the way (though that
happened once), but often turning to bind the key. And that happened a
couple times when I had replaced the pins, so it stuck with me real well
<g>. Kind of like listening to a unison go while listening to a concert.
Not that FR pins need to be tremendously tight, but if you have any chance
of being able to tuen them or pull them out with your fingers, they've got
to be tighter. CA, or for lack of it aliphatic (thinned or not) works just
fine. Aliphatic resin won't really bind to a pin very tightly either.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico