[CAUT] Steinway stretch (was Re: Steinway Verticals)

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:00:01 -0500

Fred, thanks for the explanation about this. Most of the people reading
this have alot more experience than me, but I must say that the 'D' that
I care for is unique in its character as far as temperament. I will
admit a strict ET, done visually with my SATll, sounds shall we
say..pedestrian. Take away the visual aide and do a strict aural tuning
listening to "everything", and it starts to open up much more,
especially Octave 6.

Dave Porritt, when was the last time a Steinway was used for a Tuning
Exam?!? I do NOT want to open this discussion up to what's right and
wrong..what's right, in my opinion, is what sounds best. The PTG HAS to
adhere to certain standards when testing..the real world is much
different, no?

Talk about contrasts today..I get to tune a S&S Upright(newer) and a
Yamaha Grand, in the same house this morning.

I should be drinking by noon today!,

Phil