[CAUT] organs and RH

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:50:47 -0700

Hi Don,

I've considered asking W. Martin if altering the bottom is a
possibility, or ask his advice. He is very good to help out. That way a
bottom cover would be ideal. Thanks.

Jim Busby

Ps. "Moon walking"! That's great! I'll let all know how these small
steps turn out.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Don
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 8:57 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] organs and RH

Hi Jim,

Organs are supposed to draw air from the pipe chamber.
It doesn't matter where the blower is but it does
require large ducts.

For your harpsichord--I think a bottom cover would be
more effective that a floor length "skirt". This is
based on extrapolation from what I have measured in
grand pianos. The floor length covers help--but not
nearly as much as the bottom cover.

For this design of harpsichord I'd do an Edwards
string cover as well.

I'd also be tempted to get one of the "high" setting
humidistats--and make a "partial" system with *no*
drier bars at all.

I'm quite sure the table dampchaser idea would be very
challenged in this application--though they did use
this method on grand pianos in Banff during Otto Keyes
tenure there.--Perhaps he could offer you some
insights?

Have you considered some round "holes" in the bottom
wooden cover? If you could make two--and put an
"electronic fan" (no moving parts, no sound as the
"fan" works at ultrasonic speeds) to pass the humidity
thru the bottom board, then the Damppchaser would have
a better chance at controling the humidity. I believe
these "fans" come in "very small" sizes.

You are out "Moon walking" Jim.(one small step for
harpsichord, one giant step for humidity control)
Please let us know what you end up doing--and tell us
if it works!

Best of luck with this difficult issue.

=====
3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7