[CAUT] Damp chaser table

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:11:46 -0500

Jim-

What are the extremes of the relative humidity swings?
What kind of harpsichord?

Ed S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Busby
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 11/23/2004 5:02:49 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Damp chaser table

List,

We’re installing a dampchaser on a new table that slides under a harpsichord. (A photo is attached of the unit. It comes from Dampchaser)
Has anyone done this? It seems to be the only way to “install” a dampchaser without being invasive.

Also, this harpsichord is closed in on the bottom, unlike the others we have. IOW, the soundboard isn’t seen from the bottom, but is enclosed with a wood panel being on the very bottom. Will this work w/o being next to the actual soundboard?

FYI, the room it’s in is a large organ room and the RH changes so much that the harpsichord’s pitch varies on any given day by 0 -15 cents. Hence the need for humidity control. The professor teaches many harpsichord students and needs the beast to stay in tune. Quite frankly, I’m not fond of tuning it so often. I suggested a room humidifier, (or even a large aquarium…) but we opted to try this.

Anyone ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Busby BYU