[CAUT] Re: Steinway Verticals

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:54:34 -0800

Don,

That's correct, a 6:3 octave for all octaves. However, on pianos other
than the Steinway vertical, I stretch the octaves.

At Steinway, tuning by fifths was the M.O.

This means, tune as pure a fifth as possible while still keeping it a
tempered fifth, and leave the fourths slightly "dirty" (since the
fifth is closer to pure than the accepted 3 beats every five seconds,
the fourths will beat faster than 1 beat per second).

 This technique also gives you the clean third octave stretch, if you
use the fifth as the test interval alone, rather than using the M3
M10, M10 M17, and m3 M6 tests. It saves time and also helps when
you're following another Steinway tuner, you listen to their fifths
and octaves, and don't try to narrow their octaves (in order to keep
some semblance of stability).

Is that closer to the answer you were looking for?

Boaz