[CAUT] Re: 9-foot Estonia

Bob Hohf rhohf@centurytel.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:41:32 -0600

Re: 9-foot EstoniaI've played a new Estonia concert grand at NAMM, as =
well as the newest Bos. concert (bentwood rim, 88 notes).  I don't =
service either, so can't speak to longetivity.  Under Soviet control, =
Estonia made only concert grands.  There are over 7,000 of them in =
Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.  Most of them are pretty =
bad.  Under Indrek Laul Estonia introduced a full line of grand pianos =
with many design and construction improvements.  Don't judge today's =
Estonias by the ones they made 10 years ago.  My opinion is that, at =
their price, they are a very good value.  There are certainly a number =
of better new pianos available today, but they're much more expensive.

The Bos. I played had what was may have been the most brilliant tone =
that I've ever heard.  It was a beautiful piano, but I found it hard to =
play for that reason.  I would be inclined to tone it down quite a bit, =
but that doesn't seem to be what they're aiming for at the factory.

If price were no object, I'd look at the new Bechstein Mod. D

Bob Hohf, RPT

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken, Zahringer=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 5:15 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Re: 9-foot Estonia

  I was hesitant to say so before, but we have a 9' Bose Imperial =
(96-note scale) here, in a 150-seat recital hall.  Most of the piano =
faculty love it, but I agree with Wim's assessment.  It is not a =
powerful piano.  I wouldn't recommend it for any venue larger than what =
we have here.   In fact, I'm not particularly impressed with it overall. =
 A slightly used CFIII, or a well rebuilt Steinway or Mason & Hamlin =
would be a much better choice.

  Ken Z.

  --=20
  Ken Zahringer, RPT