[CAUT] Steinway uprights

Steve Carver steve-carver@uiowa.edu
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:29:35 -0600

At our school, we have 28 Steinway uprights on inventory and while none of
these pianos are heavily used, I felt obligation to maximize their useful
life. So we decided to see what could be done within reason to improve
these 35-40 year pianos.

We perform the following work on one upright each year. Grind off
completely the plate bar in the upper two treble sections; replace the bar
with pressure bar felt; polish friction points thoroughly; pull all treble
bridge pins and tighten as necessary (epoxy); restring (usually) with 2 and
3/8ths long, #3/0 pins; new hammers and damper felts. (We do not replace
the bass strings). This work has made these instruments MUCH more
technician friendly. They are more tunable, less wild strings, improved
tone with Abel hammers. Much of this work is done by my part time
assistant. After doing 4-5 of these, we plan to continue this improvement
because the end result seems to justify the labor and relatively small cost.