[CAUT] Cleaning Grand Covers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:20:40 EST

=20
In a message dated 11/18/04 2:16:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, =20
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:

Hey Avery,  others,=20
I=E2=80=99m not kidding,  really. Only our trained stage managers or the tec=
hnicians=20
remove the covers  (or move the pianos) and we have a special place for the=20
covers. Pianos are  kept in a piano garage. (I=E2=80=99m talking about the c=
oncert=20
instruments, of  course.) Are we the only ones who do it this way?  =20
When we take off  covers we roll them up starting at the front, then at the=20
last fold them in  thirds so it=E2=80=99s easy to reverse and replace. The f=
olded cover=20
goes on its own  shelf.=20
What=E2=80=99s that I hear?  Laughter? ( ;- )  Well, it does happen that way=
,  mostly=E2=80=A6
=20
Jim

Jim,
=20
In think the biggest problem most of us have is the lack of that one person=20=
=20
you refer to in your first line. "trained stage manager". We're lucky to hav=
e =20
someone who knows a piano doesn't go through the door sideways, much less ho=
w=20
to  roll up the piano cover. The situation at UA is probably like at most=20
schools.  There is a piano cover, and there is a piano. Sometimes the two=20
actually wind up  together. When they are not, neither is safe.
=20
Wim=20