McLube on keybeds (Was Re: [CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning)

amccoy@mail.ewu.edu amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:15:54 -0800

I think sluggishness in actions is almost always a combination of small bits of
friction adding up. Tight cheekblocks make for a sluggish action, but tight
blocks and a rough keybed make the shift still more sluggish. That's why Eric
(and I and probably all of us) take the time to go through the actions
systematically- cleaning, smoothing, shaping and lubing (with as clean a lube
as we can find). Attention to those small details.

Me? I use a clear teflon spray on the keybed after sanding it. Also on both ends
of the keyframe and the keyframe spring. It is a very clean lube. I do suspect
though that it may be the cleaning and smoothing that are often the most
important ingredient in dealing with sluggishness.

FWIW

Alan McCoy
Eastern Washington Univ