[CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:16:01 -0700

On 11/9/04 7:35 AM, "Boaz Kirschenbaum" <artisanpiano@gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, there are those who tune "by key", i.e., attempting to
> achieve stability by pounding the notes into tune. This technique
> actually decreases stability
snip
> The correct method is to tune "by hammer", by using proper hammer
> technique and an appropriate test blow in combination. Laurie Cote,
> from Harvard, once told me "I only hit the key as hard as I need to".
> Once I tried a few experiments, and followed my own tunings, I saw
> direct results.

Hi Boaz,
    I agree with you 100% on this. For the most part, fairly rapid (twice a
second or so) forte blows are all that is needed. Occasionally fortissimo.
Never the brutality of those who use "pounders." My finger never rises above
the keytop, and most of the time I don't let the key return to rest position
- speed, not force (which is what any decent pianist learns).
    I'd add that use of an EDT makes achieving stability considerably surer
and "easier" (it's never easy). It comes down to knowing how far pitch has
to go in what direction, and translating it to how much the pin needs to
move in the block, then feeling the pin move that far and doing the
manipulation to put the system into stable condition (minor flagpoling and
flexing of the pin, basically a wiggle motion). With the ETD, you see
instantly whether you were successful, and can make the small nudge or
whatever right away. And, of course, you can check your work by giving
fortissimo blows to see whether your technique is really successful. I
especially like RCT for this, as the range of display within 0.5 cents of
target pitch is so dramatic. It's easy to see the results (or lack of
permanent result) of those tiniest moves, and adjust accordingly on the fly.
    Earplugs are a definite must. I'll put in a plug here for the fairly
recent plugs put out by Etymotic Research (www.etymotic.com). These are the
same guys who came up with the plugs that require molds be made of the ear
canal. The recent introduction is a "one size fits all" version, rated at 12
dB but claimed at circa 20 dB (I think the truth lies between). The benefit
of the design is that upper partials are not damped excessively as they are
with foam plugs. You can hear to tune _very_ well, and they reduce
distraction from surrounding noise and ear fatigue. I love them. Available
also from Pianotek.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.