[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

Russell Schmidt hrschm2@uky.edu
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:47:07 -0500

	Hello everyone, My name is Russell Schmidt. I have been the
piano technician at the University of Kentucky School of Music for
the past three years. I've been subscribing to the CAUT list but this
is my first posting.

	I am currently working on lacquering a set of Steinway
hammers on a newly rebuilt Steinway "M". I had been reading
extensively in the CAUT archives many helpful comments on this topic
and I was happy to see this topic addressed in the Q&A Section of
this months (Novembers) PTG journal.

	One thing I took note of was the specification made by Mr.
Schandall of Steinway, that the lacquer used by Steinway was a "
water-white nitrocellulose lacquer with 12 percent solids by weight.
This is the first time I have seen this specification, mentioned and
wonder if this might explain the results I have been getting.

	I have only been able to locate two lacquer products sold
locally. Neither had this spec.listed on the label. By calling the
company I found that the one product I have always used when applying
lacquer, "Deft" Clear Wood finish, was nitrocellulose lacquer with a
solid content of 26% by weight! The other product I located made my
"Watco" was also a nitrocellulose lacquer with 26%-27% solids by
weight.

	Could this mean that a 3:1 solution of "Deft" lacquer was
more like a 1:1 solution of "Steinway" lacquer, since both would be
around 6% solids ( by my rough calculation)?

  	Now, I am now wondering how meaningful the various opinions
are about the strength of the lacquer solution 15:1 3:1 etc. ,
without a specification of the solid content of the lacquer being
used.

	I reread the Q&A comments made by Mr. Otto Keyes who did not
specify a lacquer/acetone ratio but basically stated that the key to
success in lacquering hammers, was using a solution that was diluted
enough to allow the  hardening agent to penetrate to the desired
depth. This statement started to make more sense to me stated in this
way. What I needed was not a 3:1 or 5:1 solution, but a solution with
the hardening agent diluted just enough to reach the core for my
initial application. Too "thick" a solution would not penetrate to
the core, while a solution too "thin" would not provide enough
hardening effect, and block the penetration of latter application
(according to the theory).

	My question now is how much I should dilute my lacquer (26%
solid by weight) to come up with this properly diluted solution that
would be equivalent of a 3:1 "Steinway lacquer solution". I came up
with a 7:1 solution as the answer but my results make me think this
is too weak.
Or, would anyone know of a source for the lacquer used by Steinway or
similar product. According to the Stienway parts department, they do
not sell it.

	Thanks in advance for any comments on this topic.

	Sincerely,

	Russell Schmidt