[CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning (Boaz Kirschenbaum)

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:45:32 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Boaz Kirschenbaum <artisanpiano@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:35:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning
To: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the positive feedback and the encouragement. I'm waiting on
a work visa to go and work for a Hamburg Steinway dealer in Sydney,
Australia, it should come through any day now. That should expand my
horizons (I'll be rebuilding as well as prepping new pianos and doing
concert work). Plus there will be the chance to go to Hamburg for
direct training at the factory. It was an offer I couldn't refuse!

There are other points that I would have liked to put in but thought
I'd just try a few. I, too, could go on forever on this subject. So
here's another long one.

You are absolutely correct. Touch is extremely important. I'd rank it
as the #2 most important tool, for a couple of reasons.

Come to think of it I guess the brain would have to be #1 wouldn't it?

David Betts used to say "please use the power tools WITH BRAIN
ENGAGED, thank you very much".

Regarding touch, we had much debate about this at Steinway Hall, and
seldom reached a consensus. Your point about needle depth is an
especially good example...especially with NY Steinways. If you go too
far into the crown, it just makes that much more work to bring the
attack back. In a German Steinway, if you go in too far, even by a
fraction of a millimeter, into the crown, that's the end of that
hammer. But it can be done (I know, sacriledge)...I watched my mentor,
Aleks, do it at Carnegie. The slightest penetration just to the right
of one hammer groove, directly onto the crown, changed the color to
the pianist's liking. It didn't affect the attack but killed a little
of the brittle color on that string.

Hammer shaping is another one...not all felt is created equal. We had
a saying, "good Bacon" and "bad Bacon" (I won't share some of our more
colorful metaphors at the risk of offending you. Let's just say that
many Steinway techs swear like sailors.)

But not everyone sees this point of view...I suspect it can be a
matter of ego and pride with some technicians who have been at this
for decades and can't admit that they still have things to learn.

There are also a LOT of politics at Steinway NY. Let me put it this
way: I liken it to the level of intrigue at the French court during
the reign of Louis XV. But I digress.

For example, there are those who tune "by key", i.e., attempting to
achieve stability by pounding the notes into tune. This technique
actually decreases stability (I know this because I have followed
other tuners who use this technique for every tuning...these are
Steinway guys who have been on the road for 25 years), because the
pins flagpole, and the piano tends to go sharper than normal.

The argument that "Mrs. Jones shouldn't be able to knock it out of
tune" just doesn't hold water. I have worked with several concert
artists who are known for their forceful playing and projection, and
they do not hit the keys as hard as some of these tuners do. The
technique also leads to aural fatigue (for those who do not wear
earplugs), parts breakage, and injury. I have a colleague who had to
take six weeks disability because of acute tendonitis and carpal
tunnel syndrome, due to this method.

The correct method is to tune "by hammer", by using proper hammer
technique and an appropriate test blow in combination. Laurie Cote,
from Harvard, once told me "I only hit the key as hard as I need to".
Once I tried a few experiments, and followed my own tunings, I saw
direct results.

One has to have the willingness to try new methods and be open to
suggestion, especially during the apprentice phase, but I think it
holds true for one's career.

Your points about regulation and touch are also well-taken. That's
another reason why it's important to be able to play the instrument,
to be able to feel the touch the way the pianist would.

Specs can guide you, but my experience with the rebuilds at Steinway
Hall is that specs go out the window when you're working on an 1877
Model C one day and a 1929 Model D the next!

You have to be willing to experiment, and to try to find the specs
that work for the specific piano and not "force" the piano into your
own rule book.

For example, I try to set key dip so that it is comfortable for the
pianist, unless they request a shallower or deeper dip specifically.
That could be .375, .390, .400, .410, .420, or even .430 on any
Steinway model, it all depends on the action. That key dip, in concert
with a blow distance that works, defines the "feel" of your aftertouch
(making sure there is room for jack wiggle in the mortise after
escapement, and that there is a second rise of the hammer after
letoff). My feeling is that key dip is the basis for the entire job.

It also lets you set your benchmark when you need to regulate on the
bench. In some cases at Steinway Hall, the piano needed to go to
polishing before delivery, before I was finished with it. Since I
didn't have easy access to the case, I would juggle the case needs
(tuning etc) with the action needs. Working in retail makes you more
efficient and to think more about time management, something I think
holds true for the CAUT.

Once I set key dip in the naturals, I set the sharps, but all by feel.
It's much quicker. I do the same with hammer line - with a 12" ruler
by eye, in two passes. I never measure blow distance, I just set it
section by section after experimentation with various key dip/blow
combinations.

The other issues - rep springs, key level, etc. - I treat the same
way, by feel. Eric Schandall talks about the "cycle of refinement". It
all comes back to "how mcuh time to I have?" You can keep refining the
touch if you have more than a day or two.

I let the action, just like the pinblock, "tell" me how it wants to
behave. I call it "listening" to what the piano will give you. Some
Steinway B's, or even D's for that matter, will never play or sound
like good B's, but they might play and sound like beautiful M's once
in the home. It's knowing when to stop and say "this piano is at its
potential".

At NBSS we are taught a more time-consuming approach, necessary for
the apprentice. Once you are out working it's up to you to make the
judgement, there is no teacher there to tell you "right" from "wrong".

The reason a good pair of ears is also important, outside of
tuning...is to isolate the various squeaks, rattles, and hums, many of
which are unique to Steinways. If someone is spending that kind of
money, they shouldn't have a squeaking pitman, a knocking keyblock, or
McLube on the key bed!

I think we're on the same page with all this...I gues I'm preaching to
the choir somewhat.

More thoughts?