[CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:00:10 -0700

Hi Boaz,
    Interesting post. You raise a number of good points. I congratulate you
on an excellent foundation: North Bennett plus Steinway Hall is as good as
it gets. A couple years in a top notch rebuilding shop, plus a good while in
a college or university setting <g> and you'll be well-seasoned.
    I'm going to respond to your emphasis on the "pair of ears" as the most
indispensible tool we have. Certainly hearing, and acute, educated hearing
in particular, is of vital importance. But I would say that a refined sense
of touch is more important. When you come down to it, it's relatively easy
to hear the difference between a bad, mediocre, good, and exquisite unison.
What's hard is putting it there and getting it to stay. For which you need
that fine sense of touch: feeling the minute movement of the pin in the
block, tied inextricably with the various neuro-muscular reactions that make
the tiny move possible. Similarly with the feel of the needle in various
gradations of hammer felt; the feel of level keys, dip and aftertouch; the
feel of the top of one damper head rising a microsecond ahead of its
neighbor, and the feel of the wire moving that thousandth of an inch within
the top lever to correct it; the feel of a tiny bend of a damper wire; the
feel of the adjustment of a rep spring.
    Hey, I could go on for a long time in this vein. It's putting the brain
(awareness and endless feedback experiences) into the fingertips that makes
a truly fine technician. What do you think?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.