[CAUT] Re: Steinway Damper sytem upgrade & redesign

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:59:14 -0700

On 11/8/04 2:56 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Yeah, but I can permanently fix the problem and certainly get more fricti=
on
> relief than your method AND I can charge $150 for the work...;-]
>=20
> The job usually takes less than an hour for me.   I charge $100 if I'm th=
ere
> tuning the piano.

Hi David,
    No question there isn=B9t all that much difference in time. But I can fit
it into =B3the next tuning appointment=B2 without allowing even an extra half
hour, so I find it a bit more convenient from a scheduling point of view.
And I charge a little less than $100 ($75). Depends on the customer. Like I
said, it was that very strong negative reaction to my description of the
=B3preferred method=B2 from a particular customer that got me to think of an
alternative. So there it is in the old bag of tricks, for the low budget
places (read =B3institutions=B2 in particular, not actually including the one
where I am employed, now that I am employed and not contract, but often
churches and such), and instances where in home major drilling is an issue.
    BTW, drilling the hole for the pitman pin: Use a long bit (6=B2 will do).
First drop the trap lever and drill all the way through it from the top,
positioning the hole a bit to the back of the dimple produced by the
original pitman, taking care to drill perpendicularly. Then put the lever
back into position, and insert the drill bit through that hole from the
bottom, using that hole as a guide to drill into the bottom of the lift tra=
(This makes sure you get the holes nicely lined up with one another to avoi=
any binding problems). Observe the angle and placement of the drill bit in
relation to the hole through the keybed to ensure you are centered (fudged =
bit to the back). Of course, I would also generally pull the action, and us=
the dimple in the tray leather as additional positioning information.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.=20