[CAUT] Re: Steinway Damper sytem upgrade & redesign

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:24:36 -0700

On 11/8/04 12:54 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Joe,
>=20
> If you are not having any noise over the long term, hey sounds good.   Th=
> whole idea is to eliminate the rubbing of the top and bottom of the pitma=
> against the tray and lever.  I still visulize rubbing in your retro-fit. =
  The
> punching works similar to the Baldwin setup and eliminates any rubbing.  =
 I've
> never had a customer mention any concern with the hole in the bottom of t=
he
> piano, but I think if they were to take a look under the piano they might=
 just
> see some other holes already there and the piano seems to be OK...;-]
>=20
> I take it your removing the bushing cloth in the original hole?   Never h=
aving
> any clearance problems?   I will admit drilling under the piano is a pain=
 with
> sawdust in the face...
>=20
> David Ilvedson

Actually, it=B9s Fred, not Joe <g>. Yes, I remove the bushing cloth for more
clearance. Sawdust on the face goes together with sawdust on the dark green
plush carpet, the noise of drilling into the prized possession =AD people hav=
these emotional connections, and you have to respect them. And there=B9s a
good bit of extra work to the =B3Scott Jones design retrofit=B2: find a way to
center the larger bit (sometimes you can finesse a Forstner, but for
safety=B9s sake you need to install a piece of dowel in the hole as a
centering devise, and drill it out along with the extra keybed wood); remov=
leather and drill shallow holes in trapwork underlever and bottom of tray.
Lot=B9s more sawdust and time than bringing a prepared substitute pitman,
removing the bushing cloth, drilling a hole through the tray leather into
the  tray and similarly into the trap lever, and installing the pitman. It
can even be done without removing the action. 10  - 15 minute job (plus a
similar amount of shop time cutting the rod and drilling and pinning it,
including set up and put away).
    I do prefer the Scott Jones design (I think he was the one who came up
with it when he was in R & D at S & S), so if I=B9ve got the piano apart for
another reason I=B9ll do that. But for someone complaining of too heavy a
pedal, or where pitman rubbing is causing excess noise, and where time and
effort are at a premium, my method is fast, effective, and long-lasting.
    You do have to fudge the placement of the pinned pitman toward front or
back to avoid rubbing (I forget which =AD I=B9d need to be under a piano to
visualize it, I=B9m thinking back), but there=B9s plenty of room. There=B9s no
rubbing except for the pins at the end of the pitman in the holes (which
need to be a bit oversized for the purpose). Hey, it=B9s the same design
Yamaha and much of the rest of the world uses.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
"There is more to life than increasing its speed." Gandhi