[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:09:15 -0600

Ed, Dorothy, and List,

Of course, North Bennett Street School offers a summer 2-week (I think
that's the length) introductory class. I tend to agree with Dorothy - that
Community Colleges are the place for introducing theoretical and practical
piano tuning skills. And I like that PTG does have the beginnings of a
fabulous program in the publications Ed mentions.

Also, I have just been introduced to the Guild of American Luthiers, a
group not unlike ours, and I am happy to report that they have
self-published into beautiful book format many of their technical bulletins
from over the past 15 or so years. Many of the articles read like PTG
articles. Very interesting.(info at <www.luth.org>)

The bottom line for me is that anyone who wants to pursue piano technology
has a bit of a tricky road ahead of them, but the information IS AVAILABLE
to those willing to seek it out.

Mary