[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:13:37 -0600

oTTo,

At 15:44 11/5/2004, you wrote:
> >2. Market saturation. If we produced 5 or 10 RPTs a year … well, soon
> we’d >have too many locally.
> >3. Competition with local technicians. Some are already upset that we
> produce >one RPT a year.
>

>I believe both of these were factors at WIT.  I was out of there ('74-'75)
>long before Doug Neale took over, but it was a problem even then. I think
>it's been somewhat of an issue with any program, no matter the location or
>size of the market.

I think I only did one or two pianos during the year I was there, and they
certainly were educational. ;-{

>  Though some students are recruited outside the area, I would guess that
> many are local/regional residents & want to stay in the area.
>I don't know how many of us WITless wonders in my class stuck with the
>profession, but I would guess that, in addition to the mid-course
>casualties, a fair percentage have fallen by the wayside, due to any of a
>number of factors.

My class (77/78) had a fair number of ausländer, myself included, and I
know that a fair number of the non-iowans are still in the business... in
Il, MI, NY, VT...

>  Let's face the facts gang!  In addition to a good dose of the BS degree
> that is so sought after, eccentricity is an essential element for those
> of us who have managed to be over-strung for some 30 years (or more)!

Eccentric!!???  Pas moi!   It's everybody else who just can't hear our
special drummer.

Conrad Hoffsommer
then used against you.