[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:31:06 -0700

Wim,
=20
Good points. Maybe we need to re-think our position.=20
=20
Jim
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
Jim
=20
I can understand the time/budget space issue. The question is, is the
Dean interested enough to budget another full time faculty member to
teach the course of study, and fund the equipment, space, supplies,
etc.?
=20
As far saturating the market, I think that will solve itself. When a
piano tuner graduates, and sees there is no business, they will move to
areas of the country that does need them. If BYU does start a full time
program, it will attract students from around the country. (Same
philosophy as doctors and accountants graduating from the school. They
don't all stay in Provo, do they?)=20
=20
As far as students leaving early, if the school offers a degree, it
should encourage most of them to graduate. It doesn't prevent them from
leaving early, thinking "they know it all," but might be enough of an
incentive for them to stay.=20
=20
Which brings us to the other posts, the need for college level techs to
have a BS. If the CAUT program is successful, and universities start
asking for tuners with the education and experience, it might encourage
students to get the degree.
=20
Just some thoughts on the matter.
=20