[CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:39:53 EST

In a message dated 11/1/04 2:00:02 PM Central Standard Time,
djpope1@juno.com writes:

If all university based PTG members would  encourage their piano departments
to offer a simple, one credit course in  piano technology familiarization, it
would make a HUGE difference in what the  future will look like. Of course
that might mean teaching a course on top of  an already full schedule of piano
maintenance, but if you're serious you'll  need to bite the bullet.

David Pope
Bowling Green State  University

David

I used the same argument you did, that pianists don't know anything about
their instruments, to get our department to OK the course, but only as  an
elective. I don't think even the piano faculty was all that much in favor of  it. I
am offering this class next semester, but I need 10 students to make it  go.
So far, I've only heard of three that are taking it, and only one is a piano
major.

The way I see it, and I am sure this is a problem at most schools, is that
to get a course like this established is an intrusion on other professor's
course offerings, all of whom think their particular subject matter is the most
important aspect in music, and should be taught above all else.

At UA all performance majors are required to take 7 semesters  of theory and
composition. (And these are 4 hour courses.) This was started  about 50 years
ago, and it appears to be accepted by all performance faculty.  Ironically,
the ensemble directors are complaining they don't have  enough players for their
groups. I don't know if they understand that the extra  semesters of theory
is preventing the performance majors from participating  in ensembles.

As far as getting more piano tuners, a course like what we're taking about
is a step in the right direction. The course is only offered every other years,
 so if I can get one of them to look into this field as a possibility, it
might help the industry as a whole.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano tuner/technician