string breakage

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:00:18 EDT

Question about strings breaking.

I have a string that keeps breaking when pulled up to pitch. Should I use a
thicker string or a thinner string?

Case in point. I have been asked by the music Ed faculty to replace the 2
broken strings next to each other on an autoharp. The string below the ones that
 are broken is .022. The string above the 2 broken ones is .018.

I tried putting on a .022, a .020, and a .018, but they all break when
pulled up to pitch. (I thought at first it's because I was using tolls. But I  loop
the string with my fingers, and use only my fingers to wrap the string
around the pin).

Should I try a thicker string that will withhold the tension, or a thinner
string for a higher pitch?

Wim