Yamaha C7 tuning instability

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:15:23 -0600

--On Thursday, June 17, 2004 3:31 PM -0400 Mark Dierauf <mark@nhpianos.com>
wrote:
>I was thinking about trying one of the Edwards wool
> string covers, but I assume that this would change the sound (and
> volume) and throw off his miking procedure. Has anybody used one of
> these covers who could comment? Would a DC bottom cover across the top
> of the case (in place of the lid) be likely to help?
>
> - Mark

	I think either solution would be a good one (not from personal experience
with either, but certainly with experience from similar principles). A
string cover might require a bit of mike changing, but it might also remove
a bit of extraneous problem noises (damper whoosh etc). Anything that will
deflect airflow will help the situation. I have found that when I am faced
with airflow of a different temp (hot or cold), causing a pitch change that
is usually most rapid and extreme in the bass, getting rid of the draft one
way or another (close the lid, turn off the heating/cooling unit, closing
the door or window) and waiting 20 minutes, the pitch returns to where I
had put it, or at least quite close. Get the draft off the strings one way
or another (also stage lights, if and when that is ever possible - but
that's another story altogether). As long as the temperature is relatively
stable overall in the room, pitch will stay fairly stable. But any draft
will wreak havoc.
	Dampp-Chaser undercover material could probably be stretched and held in
place with well placed magnets (maybe with a small wooden prop or two if it
wants to touch strings somewhere), and the recording engineer would
probably not throw as big a conniption (sp) fit as with an Edwards cover.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico