Steinway Aggraffe

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:29:34 -0400

This is similar to what I use, except I've never needed the vice-grips.
  I bought a cheap cabinet sized screwdriver and filed a V into it, so
that it has points on the outer edges.  I have replaced maybe a half
dozen and never needed a power tool.

And in a pinch, I have used balance rail punchings for shims.

I was once told, whether it is true or not, that you have to use
Steinway agraffes in a Steinway, so I ordered the "variety pack"
(they're about the same price as the supply houses).  There are
different widths for the trichords in a Steinway, and I don't think the
supply houses offer that.  You probably won't run into this with this
piano though.

Jeff

On Thursday, June 10, 2004, at 11:10 AM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> A small screwdriver  with a notch filed in the middle so it looks like
> an M and a vice -grip clamped onto it.    Tapping  and turning
> counter-clockwise will usually get it right out.   I haven't used a
> drill/EZ out in a long time.
>
> David Ilvedson

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music