pitchlock followup 1

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:23:29 -0400

Hello everyone, too.

I've hesitated to post about pitchlock, as my results have been more
guarded.

 I've installed tham on two verticals. That is much more clumsy than on
grands, as you must pull the action and work the clips down under the cross
strings.  To make any subtle adjustments, you would need to pull the action
as you voiced each note, hardly possible.

On a P-22, it does very well at reducing the sense of wa-waing unisons, but
there is a whiney sound, and uneven tone in a piano that I'd voiced very
carefully before installing the pitchlocks.  I don't really understand how
to retune it, since the pitchlocks tend to blend the out of tune unisons.
There is a point where they don't work.  If the unison is at the edge of
the envelope, then it could drift out very quickly.  I find it difficult to
hear the "center" of the locked unisons.

Nevertheless, I can imagine that in a practice room situation, this
instrument would be acceptable, and would seem to be in tune longer, though
it might be harder to retune when the tuning call came.

The other piano was a new Steinway 1098 with the worst false beats I have
ever heard in the first treble section.  The pitchlocks did not help, and I
found that trying to adjust pitch and tune through the false beats and
pitchlock was not working for me.  I removed the pitchlocks and tuned the
normal way.

I'm looking for a chance to try these gadgets on a grand piano.  Scott told
me that when you get the whining sound, you need to adjust the clip, which
will be a lot easier to do on a grand.  Perhaps with practice one can learn
to make the adjustments by sight on a vertical.

Ed Sutton