hot hide glue wash

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 07:14:53 -0500

Forgot to ad....The whiter the glue, the lower the fat content and the
better the quality.  Good glue is almost white like a manila folder, not
brown like peanut butter.  I get mine from Pianotek along with Urea.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
llafargue
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 6:43 AM
To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net; 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: hot hide glue wash

I agree David.  Also, I believe the idea of sizing is very important
(white glue won't).  The whole mortise and cloth is covered in glue and
after drying, every area is smooth and flat for low friction.  I would
reread articles.  I was taught to get glue to a consistency where when
it drips back into the pot, the drop kind of sits on top for a second.
It takes a while before you find the right thickness, then need to keep
glue covered and occasionally add water to keep it there.  Too thick, it
strings and gets messy, too thin and it wicks too deep into the cloth
and comes through to cause noise against the key pins. I get it just
thin enough not to string and be messy.  Also don't forget the use of
Urea helps with work/drying time and after drying, following with a key
bushing iron smooths any inconsistencies.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO