hot hide glue wash

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:15:14 -0700

At 07:03 PM 6/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim:
>
>In a couple of years you'll love that you used PVC-E.  That's all I use
>any more.  I removed the PVC-E glued bushings yesterday, and put on new
>ones today.  (I always let the keys dry overnight after removing
>bushings.)  They will come off much better than with hide glue.
>
>dave

I'm really glad to hear this, because I've used Elmer's for keybushing for
years, but no one else seemed to approve of it. Everybody said that
bushings put in with white glue would be a nightmare if they had to be
removed later. However, once or twice I have taken the bushings back out
after using white glue (Elmer's) and after a light steaming they
practically fell out. I suppose it depends on how much you use.

I tried hot glue once for key bushing, but found it very hard to use,
sticky, I kept having to work to keep it from going all over, and I had
more easing than usual afterwards. I probably just didn't know how to use
it "right," but I went back to white glue anyway.

Best,
Susan Kline