hot hide glue wash

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:30:35 -0600

Mark,

What is TSP? (Trade name?) Where does one get it? Does it indeed wash
off the CLP? I've always used CLP for bushings but now I wonder... On a
kawai I couldn't get the hide glue to stick. (It was good glue, the
right temp. etc.) After 4 tries I finally used pvce. (I know, I'll hate
it in a couple years :)

Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Mark Cramer
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:02 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: hot hide glue wash

I wonder if all the super-lubes we're using may come back to haunt us?

We use CLP, McLube etc. on a center-pin as a "release agent"(when
re-sizing
a birds-eye w/c.a.) precisely so the GLUE WON'T STICK! Perhaps that's
the
problem with the mortises you're dealing with.

BTW, I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "glue-wash" David,
(thinned
glue as a "wash-coat?") but if you're looking to purge the wood, TSP
(tri-sodium phosphate) should do just fine.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

/listinfo/caut