Drop (was Journal Articles)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:14:16 -0600

--On Wednesday, June 2, 2004 2:24 PM -0500 Mark Cramer <Cramer@BrandonU.CA>
wrote:

>> Synchronicity:
>>
>> At Steinway, we were shown a different (to me anyhow) approach to
>> synchronizing let-off and drop:
>>
>> With the action reversed, we adjusted the "jack-position screw" (rather
> than
>> the drop screw), until let-off and drop contacts were sync'd and you
>> could feel that solid "bump."
>>
>> It works quite nicely, however, one astute colleague suggests that
> depending
>> "where" the jack (alignment) ended up, increased friction might offset
>> any benefits gained by this manner of synchronization.
>>
>> Any thoughts, s.v.p?
>>
>> Mark Cramer,
>> Brandon University

	Very interesting. I guess this says that the Steinway folks are finding
that synchronicity is of paramount importance in satisfying the top
artists. I would take it that the action is already within very tight
tolerances when this procedure is done, so the variance in jack/knuckle
friction and period of time of jack/knuckle contact is fairly minimal. I'm
sure this aspect has occurred to the Steinway guys - they are a
particularly sharp team.
	This is in keeping with what we seem to be hearing from all sides - top
independent techs as well as the official line from the Yamaha and Kawai
teams, and from Bechstein and Seiler as well. I concur that this "positive
bump" is a good thing, providing the pianist with a very positive feel for
maximum control. I noted in an earlier post the notion of microadjustment
of acceleration/velocity during the keystroke. Much of that adjustment
occurs, I think, after the bump is felt. I'm writing from experience as a
performer, as well as theoretically. There is a sense that one has much
more control over tone quality and volume with synchronicity. I look at it
like a baseball pitcher's technique. The whole body movement is very
important, but so much of the real finesse is in that final release/flip of
the wrist.
	The responses you got from Dave Porritt and Mike Jorgenson are quite
interesting. I can see where individual preference might dictate varying
from simultaneous in some circumstances.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico