Moving knuckles

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:18:19 EDT

Alan
  Funny you should ask. I started a similar thread  earlier this month on p-
Tech. Check the Archives. However just today I received  a jig built by fellow
Tech Roland Kaplan for doing this very job. It uses a  table saw blade of
correct thickness for the knuckle slot. We cut off the old  ones in a band
saw.(15 min). I'll be using the jig sometime soon and post back  on the p-tech list.
I also have a router bit purchased to cut the slot when  Roland offered to
loan me his set up. If I don't like it I will try the  router.
  I have many sets of near new salvaged Renner parts  off jobs calibrated
incorrectly. Mostly Stwy & mostly the 15.5 knuckle  position which works poorly
in most cases.
  So far it's not a case of I want to recycle the  hammers as most are Renner
& I don't use them. But  I just can't  throw out 400 worth of shanks. Know
What I mean?
   Regards
   Dale Erwin

  Hi folks,

I have a situation here where instead  of replacing shanks, I am going to use
the not-so-old shanks and move the  knuckles out to 17mm. The knuckles are
really not all that worn so instead of  band sawing them off I am thinking of
just pulling them off and moving them  (if that diameter will work in the new
position). Then I'll glue in a piece  of hardwood to fill the old slot and
cut a new slot. I'm thinking that I'd  prefer routing out the new slot but
I'd like to hear some thoughts from  others who have done this operation
before.

Thanks.

Alan McCoy,  RPT
Eastern Washington U

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com