Barbara Cassaday's "Executive Outlook" May 2004

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:13:30 -0400

I am posting this to all three lists.

At first I thought something was wrong.  Then I thought this was John's way
of saying that, without his active intervention, the published column would
look blank. Now  I'm not sure, however, here are some thoughts:

While it seems appropriate that the previous announcement (Dear Journal
Reader) was directed to all three lists, as it ultimately affects all
Journal readers, the subsequent discussion belongs on ptg-l.  The subject
began to be labeled as "OT", which, commendably, demonstrates the enduring
commitment to order on this list.  Unfortunately, many people who are
affected by these events tend to automatically delete any "OT" designated
posts.  And, this is far from OT, but it IS very much about the PTG
organization, and, as such, is only appropriate on ptg-l, a list to which
every member of PTG is entitled access.  This is not meant to exclude
those, non-PTG-member subscribers who may receive the Journal and value it,
but they are, most likely, a small number.  As much as we may forget,
pianotech@ptg.org is NOT an official vehicle of PTG.  PTG-L was created to
allow these sorts of issues to be aired in semi-privacy.  I would expect to
see some board response on ptg-l, but not on the other lists, and I think
it would be inappropriate for anything written on ptg-l to be disseminated
to these other lists.  Also,to continue this discussion on multiple lists
adds unnecessary layers of confusion.

Again, it seems likely that, had John's original announcement been directed
only to ptg-l, it would not have been effective in informing the readership
of this situation in a timely way.

David Skolnik