Bobbling Hammers, Yamaha

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:52:55 +0200

James Ellis wrote:

>Thank you, Richard, Isaac, Jim B.  With only one Yamaha vertical on my list
>that's doing this particular thing, my statistics are poor.  Nevertheless,
>in light of what all of you have said, I'll take another look at it next
>time I am over there, which will be in about a month.  I can understand why
>you want a fix, not a re-design.  At the same time, I dislike the idea of
>weak jack springs.

Dont get me wrong here Jim.  You dont want them weak. You just dont want
them stronger then they need to be. Return springs is not one of those
typical moments we look at very closely, and neither to the factories
methinks... they just get put in. But if you do start looking, you might
be suprised what you find often enough.  Its worth a look see anyways.

Just like your grand example below... they have to be strong enough to
do the job but any stronger then that can cause problems.

>And on grands, I personally like the repetition spring strong enough that I
>can just barely feel the kick when I release slowly and the hammer comes
>out of check, but not enough to make it bobble.  That's just my preference.
> Some others will disagree.  I want to make sure the jack never gets hung
>up in front of the knuckle.
>
>Thanks again.
>Jim Ellis

Cheers