Bobbling hammers of Yamaha Uprights

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:58:18 +0200

James,

Thanks for those comments, what you have find seem to go in the
direction of my finding as well (or I did not understood well)

Did you dismount the butts to compare them ?. What caused it to start
to do it now and not before ?.

I've been suspecting an extra compression of the butt cushion that
produce that shape change at the butt leather because of wear.

That happen as well on older pianos repaired if the cushion employed
is too thin.
Indeed the jack have less space then to get out of the way, but is not
also the hammer leverage (impulse) of the bad parts different from
neighbors ?

Said that because new parts are generally very even, a shape
difference at the butt may not be that large, so the reason may hide
elsewhere.

If we work on a 10 -15 years old vertical, the wear at the butt
leather allow us to regulate the jack too high in his rest position.
Then the stroke geometry is disturbed from the start.
I noticed that when giving some air at the capstan then, we sometime
find a place that seem to be the original position of the jack when
the action was not worn as much.

Then the propulsion of the hammer get more natural, stay powerful
despite the apparent play. I believe the jack then have find back its
original geometry when he push the butt (there is a definite feel for
it in the key, and even if the beginning of the touch may look fuzzy,
no real play is noticed).
More than that, if I think about it, if a minimal play between Jack
and butt on those (slightly) worn action is used, there is possibly a
lot of friction at the beginning of the stroke, as the jack tend to
crunch in the cushion, as the force of the hammer apply more on the
back part of the jack (particularly if the hammer stroke is not
corrected and is larger than originally).

So things get worse soon after you have conscientiously regulated the
minimal play.

New cushions indeed may seem the appropriate answer asap. There is
another point I don't miss now, the key height may be kept consistent
BEFORE any attempt to regulate the play (just normal regulation
sequence indeed !)

Getting back the key height where it belongs is often the most
efficient improvement in a quick job (and solve the jack play partly
as well).

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG