Coffee spill on the Bridge

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:22:39 +0200

David... sounds to me like you are saying this kind of thing is really
no bigger a deal then making things look a bit ugly and at worst result
in a bit of corrosion control on the strings and bridge.  If thats so...
why do we bother making a big deal of such at all ?

Dont get me wrong when reading below... I was actually expecting a
couple responses like this, and as I stated.... I dont want to overstate
the potential for damage. But I do want to underline the appropriate
degree of need to avoid this kind of thing.

A couple questions

David Ilvedson wrote:

>>1.  The wood will soak in much moisture and attempt to swell, which will
>>be resisted by the bridge pins resulting in compressed bridge pin holes
>>which will yield  loose pins upon drying out.
>>

>Not likely

Why not likely ?... Nossaman goes on about pins loosening due to
seasonal wood swelling and the resulting loosening of bridge pins....
seems likely enough that this much moisture soaked into a bridge cap
would have to have similiar affects.  I'll know in a couple days
anyways... I can reinsert the origional pins to see how easy they go in.
They were damned tight comming out thats for sure.

>>2. This can contribute to cracking around the bridge pins both because
>>of the sideways stress of the bridge pins on the cap while wet, and the
>>resulting compression of the wood around the pins.
>>

>Not likely

Again...why not likey ?  All that side pressure on pins in loose holes
has been cited here on many an occasion as one cause of small cracks
around the bridge pins.  And while the wood is yet wet its  much more
susceptable to being  compressed and broken...

>>3.  Potential for weakening the glue joint between bridge and soundboard.
>>

>Not likely

Again why not ?? We dont even know what kind of glue is been used here ?

>>4.  Localized swelling of the panel around the bridge area can result in
>>unpredicatble changes in local crown with whatever effect on the sound
>>that results.
>>

>Come on...

This I dont get at all.... after all these discussions about compression
damage and the affect of humidity on wood... you are able to declare
that there is no real danger in creating an acute killer octave dead
spot from this kind of a spill ?  I mean ... if so great... but I'd like
to see some justification for saying so.

>>5. Rust on both strings and bridge pins.
>>

>Certainly could happen, but a good cleaning and drying with a hairdryer should help prevent it.
>

>>Please advise as to the validity of these claims and any other points
>>that should be raised.
>>

>Your making a mountain out of a molehill...;-]

Well, if so... then I'd like to hear more justification for it.  Are you
really saying that dumping a cup of coffee on the bridge cap of a high
quality grand piano is no big deal ?...am I to report this to the
administration ?

>You may have to replace the top hammers but they will probably survive to be on the clanky side tonewise.   I think you need to clean it up and continue to press for no drinks of any kind in practice rooms.   The other consideration, which I've thought about but never actually done, is to make a cover out of thin plywood or such that would fit over the tuning pins and extend over the dampers far enough to protect the top treble bridge or what is under the split in the lid.  It would lie on the plate and must not hinder the music rack.   You'd simply lift it out before tuning.   I'd probably want a cloth attached to soak up any coffee that is spilled into the piano.  I doubt this would change the sound of the piano....what do you think?   Remember you can charge them to make it for all the pianos and never worry about spills again

Why should I need to replace any hammers ? They got no coffee on them.
The soil was confined to the bridge cap and the surrounding area of the
soundboard. On the soundboard the coffee ran along the length of the
back side of the bridge for 30 - 40 cm, and spread out a bit more away
from the bridge on the front side.  But it didnt come close to the action.

Your protection idea sound good... good easily be made well enough to do
a very good job I suppose.  I cant see it would affect the sound more
then some of these DC covers would. Nice idea.

>David Ilvedson

Cheers and thanks

RicB