Coffee spill on the Bridge

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:44:45 -0800

>1.  The wood will soak in much moisture and attempt to swell, which will
>be resisted by the bridge pins resulting in compressed bridge pin holes
>which will yield  loose pins upon drying out.

Not likely

>2. This can contribute to cracking around the bridge pins both because
>of the sideways stress of the bridge pins on the cap while wet, and the
>resulting compression of the wood around the pins.

Not likely

>3.  Potential for weakening the glue joint between bridge and soundboard.

Not likely

>4.  Localized swelling of the panel around the bridge area can result in
>unpredicatble changes in local crown with whatever effect on the sound
>that results.

Come on...

>5. Rust on both strings and bridge pins.

Certainly could happen, but a good cleaning and drying with a hairdryer should help prevent it.

>Please advise as to the validity of these claims and any other points
>that should be raised.

Your making a mountain out of a molehill...;-]

You may have to replace the top hammers but they will probably survive to be on the clanky side tonewise.   I think you need to clean it up and continue to press for no drinks of any kind in practice rooms.   The other consideration, which I've thought about but never actually done, is to make a cover out of thin plywood or such that would fit over the tuning pins and extend over the dampers far enough to protect the top treble bridge or what is under the split in the lid.  It would lie on the plate and must not hinder the music rack.   You'd simply lift it out before tuning.   I'd probably want a cloth attached to soak up any coffee that is spilled into the piano.  I doubt this would change the sound of the piano....what do you think?   Remember you can charge them to make it for all the pianos and never worry about spills again

David Ilvedson