A 440 Standard

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:39:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2004 1:12:16 PM Central Standard Time, PNOTNR@aol.com
writes:
I am curious what the limit for raising pitch on a violin would be.  I
thought I read or heard somewhere that stringed instruments built long ago had some
kind of reinforcing to withstand the higher tension.  But I think I was also
told that the tension on a violin string is something like 15 pounds.  And I
don't have any idea where that puts it in regard to breaking percentage.

Gordon Large, RPT
Colby College
Waterville, ME
I asked our violin professor, and he said any higher than 442 would benot
only be too hard on the instrumentm, but it would change the color of the sound.

Isn't that more or less what scaling is all about? Scaling is supposed to be
the best thickness of string, at the best length, at the best tension. So if
the tension on a violin is going to increase, without changing the string
thickness or the length of the string, it is going to change the timbre of the
instrument. Isn't that what we've been talking about all along?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music