Coffee spill on the Bridge

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:40:16 +0200

Hi folks

I need some advice.

Today I found that one of our practice grands, a Bluther which was in
quite good shape, had taken a rather nasty hit.  Upon entering the room
I noticed a plastic coffee cup sitting on the top of the piano.  The cup
then was just over the bridge at the break between the treble and high
treble sections.  There was an obvious stain on the top and upon looking
in the top six notes of the treble section were soaked (still somewhat
dampI and there was dried coffee stain spread out around the surrounding
area on both sides of the soundboard.  It appeared that the person
responsible had spilled the coffee...said " Opps ! " and sat the still
not completely empty coffee cup up back where it had been and just
continued to play... thinking nothing really of it.

I am asked to write a report describing the extent and seriousness of
the damage and this is what I need your advice on. This is  University
environment so there is a certain need for formalities and
accountability involved.

I want the seriousness of this kind of misuse of instruments accented,
and the resulting damage potential underlined as much as is advisable
without overstateing the problem.

I thought of making the following points.

1.  The wood will soak in much moisture and attempt to swell, which will
be resisted by the bridge pins resulting in compressed bridge pin holes
which will yield  loose pins upon drying out.

2. This can contribute to cracking around the bridge pins both because
of the sideways stress of the bridge pins on the cap while wet, and the
resulting compression of the wood around the pins.

3.  Potential for weakening the glue joint between bridge and soundboard.

4.  Localized swelling of the panel around the bridge area can result in
unpredicatble changes in local crown with whatever effect on the sound
that results.

5. Rust on both strings and bridge pins.

Please advise as to the validity of these claims and any other points
that should be raised.

Thanks muchly

RicB