A 440 Standard

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:22:34 +0200

Don A. Gilmore wrote:

>This is very interesting.  457.4 Hz seems ridiculously high, doesn't it?  It
>makes you wonder what their reasoning was.
>
>457.4 is 66 cents sharper than 440.  That would mean that it is closer to A#
>than to A!
>
>In fact, if you called the system A#-457.4, then A-nat would be 431.73 Hz,
>or about 33 cents flatter than 440.  That makes me think.  Why couldn't you
>just rename the system like that?  You get the same notes (well, the same
>frequencies anyway).  You get an A closer to the A that the piano was
>designed for.  And you can get it by going flatter instead of sharper.
>Technically you would be transposed a half step from what the music would
>have sounded like if A-natural had been tuned to 457.4, but hey, you're
>still closer to the original A-440.

Grin... lets take that basic thought a step futher... Lets say you had A
466.  Thats A# when A is at 440.  So everything would be transposed one
note up. No real problem of the hat... but if you were used to playing
in 2 #'s and had to go to 3 #'s to get the same thing then what would
the real point be ??.... just to change fingering ?  And course it get
more interesting for some other key signatures.

>But then I guess you wouldn't really get the "benefit" of tuning the
>orchestra string section higher.  Oh well, I tried.  How about if they
>transpose the music of the stringed instruments down a semitone and left the
>rest of the orchestra scores alone?  Then the strings could tune to the
>higher, better sounding tension without annoying the rest of the orchestra.
>That way when everyone else is playing A, the violins would see Ab on their
>score; but since their instruments are tuned a semitone high, it would sound
>like the same note...and everyone is happy!

Grin... exactly... !

>I too am alarmed at the tendency to go sharp with tunings because of the
>obvious encroachment upon the ultimate tensile strength of the strings,
>which are ostensibly pretty close to the breaking point anyway.  Since the
>relation between tension and frequency is an exponential one, the tension
>increases drastically as we raise in pitch.  For example, to raise the pitch
>one octave (2 x frequency) requires a fourfold increase in tension!  The
>tension has already doubled by the time you get an augmented fourth up.
>Bang!

I would suppose thats a design issue that could be dealt with.  The way
I understand it... the << benifit >> of higher pitches is the degree of
beating between intervals that in turn add an element of <<tension>> or
<<excitement>> to the music... sort of like what hippies used to do with
anfetamines if you get my meaning :)

>To raise the pitch from 440 to 457.4 would increase the string tension by
>about 8%.  If the string had a tension of 150 lbs, this would increas it by
>12 lbs.  Multiplied by, say, 215 strings, this amounts to 2600 lbs more
>compression on the harp!  No thank you!

Depends on the strings used ... eh ?

>Don A. Gilmore
>Mechanical Engineer