A 440 Hz Standard

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:37:06 -0600

--On Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:45 PM -0800 David Ilvedson
<ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> And I suppose if we went along with A442 as standard it would just keep
> getting higher...
>
> David I.
Hi David,
	I'm afraid my opinion of the relative influence of the piano technician
constituency is lower than yours <g>. Our "going along" or not makes very
little difference to the musical community, IMO. I think we have very
cogent arguments to make as to the desirability of maintaining a standard
pitch for any given instrument and venue - time, money, stability, a number
of practical considerations - but as to what the pitch should be, well,
that's not really our department. Pianos can accept 435, 440, 442, 444,
445, etc, without any problems I am aware of. Doesn't have a noticeable
affect on their structure or tone quality (or, at any rate, I am unable to
hear a discernable difference).
	There are plenty of practical considerations beyond our own realm
(existence of thousands of wind instruments made to the 440 standard, for
instance) which weigh in favor of restraining the ever sharper desires of
the string players.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico