Baldwin 743 question

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:23:12 -0500

Yeah, and if they need it, here's another trick Steve;

Listen to both strings of a bi-chord independantly, to compare tone.

Then, pound the note repeatedly, while lowering one string about a 5th and
raising to pitch again.

Compare the tone of the two strings again.

This should give you an idea of potential gains in tone... if any.

This is a Q & D trick that has worked well on old beaters with the "tubby"
bass. It spares the need for un-hitching/twisting strings, the curious
appearance of "new" false beats,  and risk to flesh, blood and gold paint.

You can decide in a hurry if it's any help.

Please pardon the abscence of optimism, but I find servicing the 743's,
beyond tuning, tends to underwhelm even the most meager expectations.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 3:37 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Baldwin 743 question

  In a message dated 4/15/04 3:29:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
s.kabat@csuohio.edu writes:
    I'm refurbishing one of our fleet of Baldwin 743 Hamilton-type uprights,
    with the university patina, n'est pas?, and I'm debating whether or not
    to turn the bass strings.
  First question should be, do they need it? If you think they do, try one
of the strings on one of the pianos, and see if there is a noticeable
difference. Then go from there.

  Wim
  Willem Blees, RPT
  Piano tuner/technician