A 440 Standard (PS)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:17:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/04 10:35:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
claviers@nxs.net writes:
It is amazing at how close the piano will come back to the same pitch at a
different temperature, provided the temperature is stable during the tuning
process, while it is being used, and all parts of the piano are at the same
temperature in each case.  The ideal situation is to tune the piano at the
temperature it will be used, but sometimes that isn't practical.  The big
"NO NO" is for the temperature to be changing while the tuning is going on.
That will get you a bad tuning every time, especially if you are using an
ETD.

Jim Ellis
I can attest to the temperature change effect on a piano. It was the middle
of January in St. Louis about 20 years ago, when three of us were master tuning
a Kawai grand in a large sanctuary of a church. I had made arrangements for
the janitor to turn the heat on at 8, and we started at about 10 AM. By about 1
PM we were working on the upper registers, doing checks with the middle. But
we were having a hell of time making intervals match. We rechecked the middle,
and it had drifted. All of a sudden we noticed that the temperature in the
sanctuary had dropped about 5 degrees. Apparently the janitor shut down the heat
when he left at noon, and didn't tell us. Needles to say, we had to stop the
master tuning.

Wim