Why a string goes out of tune.

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:30:15 -0800

Wim,

It's possible your problem is in the tuning pin.  IMHO...You have=
 to have an understanding of what is going on with the=
 string/tuning pin.  (And you may already do all of the following=
 things)  Making pitch changes with your tuning hammer and then=
 pounding 12 times to see if it stays in tune is going to result=
 in unsatisfactory results.  When you pound (I prefer key/hammer=
 action mf) you should be using your tuning hammer at the same=
 time.  In other words, slight impact pressure on the tuning=
 hammer with some key/hammer action can move the string and the=
 pin the little amount you want.  Tiny changes in pin/string=
 movement is what your after.  Remember any kind of change in=
 pitch needs going over again.  When I'm fine tuning, I'm making=
 1 cent or less changes usually with just some impact pressure=
 increasing slightly in force with key/hammer action.  If the=
 slight impact pressure doesn't put it where I want I will have=
 to make a tiny change in the tuning pin which will happen with a=
 little more impact pressure.  The idea that you must come above=
 the pitch and pound it down into tune aint going to make it in=
 fine tuning.  If that string is more than 1 cent, I will tune it=
 several times, tuning all strings in the unison as many times as=
 it takes.  I'm tuning unisons as I go and I use a SAT III with=
 minimal checks.

David Ilvedson