1897 S&S A

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:19:55 EDT

   Hi Otto
  I'm very familiar with he model your are looking at only I've not seen one
in oak. Oak was oddly enough, thought of and was poor mans furniture during
this time frame & later. Also the tulip leg model were popular about this time
as well. I'm more familiar with these & know of one in the SF bay are with the
original board&bridges. It's been strung, finished & new action & the asking
price is 45,000> I've seen & played it myself & it is stunning. We often see
these amazingly well preserved piano in the bay area climate. If the piano your
talking about is competently & professionally restored it's possible to get 60
to 80 k from the right person but more typically 45 to 50k. If it were in my
shop with new belly finish & action I'd be real happy with 50 K. Retail. But
it depend so on what the wholesale price is/was. Know what I mean? As with any
Steinway There are many fine examples in the price range we're kicking around
so it will require the right person. The 6ft 2 ' A was made until 1913 or so
the 6ft. 4' A was the one discontinued in 47. These are harder to come by ,have
a better scale & bigger sound than the older Smaller version. I have 2, any
interest? grin.
 I' m not much on antique values when it comes to Steinways of this vintage.
They either function as pianos or they belong in a Museum.
   I'd say the wholesale price would be probably 10 to 20 k but probably not
more. Hope that is helpful. Sounds like neat piano!
  Dale
looked at a 6'2" A, built in late 1897 a customer is inheriting.  One
would think that such an instrument would be a beater at this point.
However, it spent much of it's life in the Denver area, & the remainder her
in Moscow, ID.  Everything would appear to be original, save, perhaps, the
hammers.  I can't imagine them not wearing out, though they appear to have
been shaped a few times & are about to wear through in the treble.  If they
have been replaced, it certainly was a good clean job.

It was refinished in the late 40's; is light oak w/fire plug legs & no
scrollwork.  #2 pins are tight, & block appears pristine & original.  No
cracks in the bridge cap, but plenty of hairlines in the board.  However,
the board has crown & generally decent front bearing, though back bearing is
neg. in spots.

The 6'2" A was introduced in '96 & phased out of US production in '47, so
this is a fairly early one, and unusual in that it's oak, but no other
really distinguishing features about it.  With some regulation & voicing
this could be very serviceable.  However, as part of the inheritance, it
could also be completely rebuilt.  Given its remarkably good condition and
age, it may have some "historical/antique value", which modern rebuilding
would destroy. While it may be a better piano at the end of that process, it
may be a less valuable one in "antique" terms.

They also need a current valuation of the piano in its current condition for
tax purposes.  I am assuming a wholesale value with the view to a complete
rebuilding -- setting aside the subjective "antique" value.  Any thoughts
from all of you on this subject?

Thanks,

Otto